Saturday, September 7, 2013

Camping 2013

My sweet husband is determined to make us a "camping and kayaking family", and let's be honest one's options for vacationing is narrowed when you have a family of 6 and it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of trillion dollars to fly us all somewhere on an airplane.  Campgrounds of the midwest, watch out - the Winter family may be heading your way!  I have never considered myself a camping girl, let alone a tent camping girl.  However, after 5 camping trips this summer (Green Valley, Viking Lake, Maquoketa, Okoboji, Grandpa's farm) I am learning to like it, maybe even love it.  Prepping for a camping trip is a lot of work, and my strong suit is not planning and preparing.  I am a pack one hour before leaving - wing it - we can always buy it when we get there - kind of traveler.  My hubby is a you need make a spreadsheet of what needs to happen and assign each person of the household tasks to get packed days before leaving kind of traveler.  These styles tend to clash and cause stress, but alas I am learning the art of preparing (it totally works), and Corbin is learning the art of relaxing a bit.  And in the end, once we get to our destination it always works out.    

I have discovered the best part of camping is that the kids just don't need us to be entertained.  They explore, finds friends (campers are really the friendliest folks I have ever met), truly enjoy playing with each-other, find bugs, find frogs, go fishing, swim,  play with fire (Corbin swears playing with fire is an important life lesson when done under parental supervision - it gives me a heart attack - I can't watch),  love eating outside, and can sleep anywhere...even on the ground (mommy and daddy get the inflatable mattress).  Corbin is also totally in his element when we are outside near lakes with kayaks and fishing poles.  Happy hubby + happy kiddos with lots of open space to run and be loud = happy mommy!  





The kids love being able to help with making meals while we are camping...campfire hot dogs - Yummy! 


Brotherly love


Making fire sticks 


Awesome caterpillar 





Sibling fun!


Cael fishing - one of his favorite things to do! 


Avery lost her two bottom teeth this summer 


My boys :) 


Tiny catch





I grew up across the street from a park that had these horse swings...my kids loved them just as much I did! 



Luke cleaning 



We were living in the lap of luxury during our trip to Okoboki when we borrowed our very generous neighbors pop-up camper.  It was a very chilly weekend so we were super thankful that we were not in a tent.  Our favorite camping spot was Viking Lake.  The campground was super clean and beautiful and the DNR provided free popcorn and outdoor movie in the evenings.  Green Valley was a close second as we went with friends which was a lot of fun.  

The only downsides to camping are the less than ideal sleeping conditions and the aftermath once we get home.  Unlike the kids, I cannot sleep anywhere or everywhere.  Sleeping in a small space with 5 other people is just not great.  And to top it all off, Corbin talks (or hollers) in his sleep which wakes up Luke  which results in me driving Luke around the countryside at 5 in the morning.  Fun times!  Then, once we get home - the camping fallout and clean up must take place.  We all work as a family to unload the truck and trailer of all the dirty sleeping bags, clothes, food, coolers, garbage, etc... it then becomes my job to wash and clean everything we used.  It usually takes several days to get everything back in order.  However, at the end of the day, the downsides are totally outweighed by the upsides!  Camping allows us to spend time as a family and share memories that I am sure we will treasure forever!       


No comments: