Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My SportCourt Brings All the Boys to the Yard...


The original owners of our house were also the owners the SportCourt of Iowa company and installed a fantastic half court in our yard.  It is great...most of the time.  It does mean, however, that on most days I have an extra 5 to 15 kids from the neighborhood in my yard.  I am not exaggerating - I have actually counted 15 extra kids that were not mine and were not really invited.  They just show up.  The first day of summer there were 4 extra kids at my house by 10:30 a.m.   

On one hand it is great, my kids have a plethora of playmates.  On the other hand I am the neighborhood mommy cop while the other parents are enjoying peace and quiet in their kid free homes.  I am constantly yelling or as I like to put it "instructing"  other people's children (and my own) not to use bad words, be respectful, pull up their pants (seriously, I don't care how old you are...I don't want to see your undies and I don't want my daughter to see your undies..."In case no one has told you, you look like a fool when your pants hang down so low and if you want to play here you have to pull them up" - the exact words I used), take their trash and coats and backbacks and scooters and iPhones and iPods home when they leave (I have read some very interesting texts on these iPhone and iPods and it scares me to death for Cael to get even one year older and we are the recipient of the lovely pink scooter that no one has claimed - there are perks, I guess), and to remember that it is MY yard NOT a PARK.  This is MY house NOT the SNACK SHACK.   I have had to break up fights and ban kids from coming back.  What can I say...this mommy cop thing can be hard work. 

 Despite my firm motherly "instruction" these kids return, everyday, all the time.  They play, they laugh, they are safe, and eat all my popsicles and throw the wrappers in my grass.  Their constant presence make my kids believe that we live in the greatest house on the planet and they never want to move.  I am sure one day I will miss all this commotion and chaos.  I am thankful that I know where my kids are and I have seen some priceless moments that I would have missed if they were somewhere else. 

This summer I am providing daycare for 4 kids on Mondays and Thursdays, and 2 kids the rest of the days - on purpose.  Lord, help me...






 

No comments: